One question that women considering adoption often have for us is: “If I choose to give baby up for adoption, will they be put into the Florida foster care system?”
Oftentimes, the reason that women ask this question is because they have had bad or traumatic experiences with foster care or Florida DCF in the past. Other times, they only knew about Florida adoption through foster care. They didn’t realize that if they chose private adoption, their child would not be placed in foster care.
When a woman chooses to place her baby for private adoption in Florida, she is able to use a private, Florida adoption agency or attorney, and choose the right adoptive family for both her and her baby. These families have all gone through extensive background checks, including:
- Local, state, and federal background checks
- DCF abuse registry check
- Sexual abuse registry check
- Medical check/report stating they are physically and mentally able to parent a child
- Financial record check to ensure they are financially stable and able to care for a child
In addition to the background checks, the adoptive families have also gone through a comprehensive home study and received a thorough education on adoption. They’ve also provided numerous letters of reference, supporting their decision to grow their family through adoption.
Private adoption may also offer expectant parents the ability to stay in contact with their child, even after placing them with the adoptive family. Oftentimes, this is known as open adoption. Every post-adoption relationship is different and can change over time. Learn more about post-adoption relationships.
Women who choose to place their baby for adoption also are able, if needed, to receive:
- Free medical services and counseling to process your experience. If you are not ready to speak with a counselor, we provide you with quick, practical strategies to work through things individually.
- Financial support for pregnancy-related expenses such as rent, utilities, food, toiletries, transportation, medical bills, and cell phone.
- Financial support during your postpartum recovery period.
- Assistance from one of our knowledgeable and trained staff members in assessing your short-term and long-term needs and applying for services that may benefit you, such as Medicaid, WIC, Healthy Start, and more.
- Access to a personal, professionally-trained, mental health advocate available to you 24/7
If you find yourself facing an unplanned pregnancy in Florida, and are curious about private adoption – feel free to reach out to The Adoption Law Offices of Madonna Finney today.
Call or Text – (850) 318-1836 or message us on Facebook.
Madonna is the only Board Certified Florida Adoption Lawyer in the panhandle. She has been placing children into loving, financially secure homes for over 22 years and has NEVER ONCE placed a child into foster care.