My name is Tara, and I am also a birth parent that gave her child up for adoption. My daughter was placed twelve years ago with a loving adoptive family. I had my own reasons for adoption. I am writing this so that other birth parents understand there are many reasons why parents choose adoption. None of these reasons are the wrong reasons. Understand that whichever reason you choose, you will supported in your decision by our office.
The Law office of Madonna Finney has experienced staff available to help you with your decision to give up your child. We do not judge you for your decision. We are simply here for you when you might feel lost or stuck, so that you have someone to walk with you through your journey as a birth parent.
1. Age: Many birth parents are young and inexperienced as parents. This can be a very scary time and it is okay to reach out to someone who knows more and who can help you find an adoptive family who will love your child just as you would.
2. Single: Often, birth parents choose to give their child up for adoption because they do not want to raise a child alone and without a partner by their side. It can be frightening to know that you are the only person who is going to raise your child. If you are considering adoption during this time, please know that it is not a selfish decision. It is normal for you to want your child to grow up with two loving parents.
3. Scared: You are also supported in your decision to give your child up for adoption simply because you are scared to be a parent. If you find yourself becoming scared as you envision what your future holds, and you still cannot bring yourself to move forward with your decision to parent a child, our office is here for you.
4. Financial: Many give their child up for adoption to a loving family because they cannot afford to have a child. Having a child is expensive. If you are worried about how you are going to parent your child and you make the decision to adopt, know that there are loving adoptive families who can provide for your child.
5. No family support: Another reason why parents give their child up for adoption is because their own family does not support their decision to parent a child.
6. Unplanned pregnancy: Parents choose adoption when they are unsure where to turn after facing a pregnancy that they did not plan. Staff is here to support you in your decision to give your child up for adoption whether planned or unplanned.
7. No safe environment: Are you in a relationship that does not feel safe? Are you homeless with nowhere to go? Parents choose to place their child for adoption when they do not want their child to grow up in an abusive home or homeless and on the streets. This is a courageous decision for any parent to make. Please know that you are supported, and we will walk you through every step of your journey.
8. Personal set back: There are moments in life when we must focus on ourselves now to become a better parent in the future. These moments in time might include education or better employment before we feel we are ready to parent another human being.
9. Health of parent: Parents also choose to give their child up for adoption when they are faced with health concerns.
10. Health of baby: parents place a child for adoption when learning that their child will be born with special needs. It is okay to choose adoption when you learn your child will have special needs. There are many adoptive families who are waiting to parent a child with special needs.
If you find yourself facing one of these or any other reason to consider adoption, reach out to us anytime, we are here to discuss the option of adoption, with no cost or obligation to you. Text 850-308-1836 or Call 888-883-6830.
Tara Griffith, Social Worker, Birth Mother